Nyack is the spot to get your spook on during the 2018 scary season.
From a village-wide trick-or-treat-trail and jaw-dropping parade (named one of the Travel Channel’s top Halloween Parades in the US), to an all-new house decorating competition, Nyack leaves no tombstone unturned! The entire village gets into the disembodied act, with a monstrous selection of Halloween-themed art, music, parties, treats and film events.
So for those who love things that go bump in the night and make your skin crawl, here’s a summary of Nyack Hallo-week fun and fear!
P.S. October is jam-packed with Autumn fun, too!
Nyack Pop-Up Chorus Sings The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Oct 10 & Oct 14
Let’s do the Time Warp Again! The Nyack Pop-Up Chorus presents a showing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show on Wednesday, October 10th at 7:00 pm at the Nyack Library in preparation for their spooky sing-along of songs from the film at Casa del Sol on Sunday, October 14 at 6:00 pm!
An Evening of Edgar Allan Poe
Oct 13, 19 & 26
The Nyack Village Theatre presents An Evening of Edgar Allan Poe ~ Readings & Interpretations featuring Nosferatu meets The Raven performed by Jorge Ramos. Other readers include: David Biedny, Rochelle Kepes, Richard Quinn, Genoveva Rossi and others to be announced. For tickets: https://nyackvillagetheatre.ticketleap.com/evening-of-edgar-allan-poe/
Village Window Painting
This annual visual arts event in downtown Nyack, directed by Nyack High School’s art department, pairs young artists with local businesses ― and has delighted visitors and shoppers for decades.
Halloweek competitions kick off with the Nyack Chamber of Commerce and Better Homes and Gardens Rand Realty house and lawn decorating contest, with a 6:00 pm start at Maura’s Kitchen, 81-83 South Broadway. With ballots in hand, the interested public will spread out across the village like a horde of hungry zombies looking for brains…and the best decorated homes. In addition to Maura’s, polling places include Nyack Library (South Broadway), Rockland YMCA (South Broadway), and Casa del Sol (Main Street). Voting closes Friday, October 26. Winning home to be announced at the October 27 parade.
Night of the Living Dead 50th Anniversary at Casa del Sol
Casa Del Sol restaurant at 104 Main Street hosts a Night of the Living Dead 50th anniversary celebration. Haunted Happy Hour begins at 6:00 pm with Halloween-themed cocktails on the menu. DJ Don of the Dead plays hits from 1968 and other groovy tunes. A special viewing of Night of the Living Dead will be shown on the big screen in the dining room at 8:00 pm.
1931 Dracula Screening With Live Organ
ArtsRock, Arts Angels and Rivertown Film present the original 1931 Dracula film with live organ accompaniment by Ben Model; 7:00 pm at Nyack High School, 360 Christian Herald Road. Tickets: http://www.artsrock.org
The Amazing Kreskin Haunts Nyack
Join The Amazing Kreskin as he haunts the Time Hotel Nyack on October 26 from 7:00-11:00 pm! With a showman’s flair, a comedian’s wit, and the capacities of a bona fide Mentalist or thought reader, The Amazing Kreskin has, for six decades, dramatized the unique facets of the human mind…his own. Tickets include a three course dinner at BV’s Grill inside The Time Hotel Nyack. (No tickets at the door.)
Ghosts of Nyack Lecture and Ghost Hunt
This extraordinary event will be led by nationally acclaimed paranormal expert Linda Zimmerman at the Nyack Library, 59 South Broadway. Currently sold out but there is a waiting list.
Nyack Hallween Parade, plus Village-Wide Trick-or-Treat Trail and Music Festival
The Nyack Chamber of Commerce pulls out all the stops for the super scary “main event:”
- All-day music festival: featuring seven live bands at various outdoor locations throughout the villagestarting at 2:00 pm and continuing until after the parade.
- Trick-or-Treat Trail: At 2:00 pm, Nyack businesses open their doors and bottomless bags of candy to kids of all ages who crave sweets and are wearing cute costumes. Tricksters can pick up treat bags at the Nyack Chamber Visitor booth on Main Street
- Parade registration: Begins at 2:00 pm in Memorial Park for the 31st Annual Nyack Chamber Halloween Parade, including costume and float contests
- 31st Annual Nyack Halloween Parade: Steps off from Memorial Park at 5:30 pm
- Contest winners announced: Winners of the costume, float and home and lawn decorating competition winners will be announced at 8:00 pm in the Main Street parking lot following the parade. Cash prizes totaling over $2,000 will be awarded along with custom trophies designed by local artist Peter Cheney
- MonsterMash: Festivities continue at 8:30 at the Nyack Center, 59 Depew Avenue. Families are welcome for more music, games, food and sweet treats. Admission free.
- After parties: Nyack’s famous restaurants and night spots join the fun with special parties after the parade. Costumes welcome!
Registration forms for the parade available on the Nyack Chamber’s website.
Nyack’s Halloween Night: Ghoulishly good trick-or-treating fun
Upper Nyack ― North of Main Street on Broadway ―is hands-down the craziest trick-or-treat destination in the tri-state area where the actual night of Halloween is celebrated regardless of the day of the week or the weather. Streets are closed to traffic, home owners go all out on decorating their spooky abodes, and literally thousands of pounds of candy are distributed to kids of all ages in costumes worthy of the most creative fantasy runways in Tinseltown. Adding icing to the poison apple, the South Nyack Firehouse on North Broadway hosts its annual haunted house, a beloved tradition for those who dare make the visit. Festivities start at about 3:00 pm and go to the witching hour.